Copyright Basics with Naomi Korn
This event has already taken place. View upcoming events
CILIP East, ISG and ARLG are pleased to present a training day on copyright and Open Access. Join us for the whole day, or just for the morning or afternoon sessions.
There will be an hour's break between the two courses. To keep the costs of the event down we will not be providing lunch, however delegates are welcome to bring a packed lunch or food can be purchased from the UL tea room or the cafe in the nearby Alison Richards Building.
CILIP Knowledge & Information Management Group will be holding their AGM during the lunch break – all are welcome to attend.
9.30-10.00 tea and coffee
10.00-13.00 Copyright basics - facilitated by Naomi Korn, Copyright Consultant and Chair of the Libraries and Archives Copyright Alliance
“Copyright and licensing matter to anyone who creates, curates, commissions, uses, publishes or shares content. This means that copyright and other rights underpin everything we do. How we then allow others to use our content and under what terms we use others content becomes intrinsic to content access and use, collections and information management and our digital literacy.” www.naomikorn.com
Using power-point free training techniques, this workshop will explore the following topics:
- What is copyright and what is the public domain?
- Copyright Audit: What, How long and who owns what?
- Fair Dealing exceptions to copyright
- Creative Commons Licences and Getting Permission
- Social Media, copyright and licensing
By the end of the course participants will have:
- Understood the nuts and bolts of copyright within the context of the work of their organisations
- Considered the importance of best copyright practice;
- Understood the legal requirements of copyright and the use of documentation to achieve them;
- Understood the changes to the copyright legislation and what these could mean for them
- Discussed the relationship between rights management and risk management
- Understood the procedures for achieving best copyright practice and how more efficiently handling of rights and permission can save costs and resources;
- Considered shortfalls in their own practices regarding copyright and methods of improving them;
- Have seen and used authoritative copyright resources.
Lead Consultant & Managing Director
Naomi Korn Associates
IP and Data Protection Specialist and Managing Director, Naomi Korn Associates
Naomi is one of the cultural heritage and education sectors leading IP and Data Protection experts. Her company, Naomi Korn Associates, has worked for over fifteen years with various clients from across the sector on operational, policy and strategic approaches to these dynamic and vital issues. Naomi was the Chair of LACA (Libraries and Archives Copyright Alliance) leading the reform of the UK’s copyright laws and she has also been proud to support CILIP and its membership as a CILIP Trustee. This is Naomi’s seventh year in developing the successful programme for the CILIP annual Copyright Conference. Naomi is currently co-authoring a Facet Publishing book with Professor Charles Oppenheim on Information law.