Our goal in terms of equal opportunities and diversity is an informed society in which everyone has ready access to the knowledge, information and works of imagination appropriate to their needs, wants and aspirations.
This is the distinctive contribution of library and information professionals to developing a society where:
- All groups are empowered.
- Attitudes and prejudices that hinder the progress of individuals and groups are confronted and tackled.
- Cultural, racial, and societal diversity is respected and celebrated; Individuals and communities live together in mutual respect and tolerance.
- Discrimination is challenged and tackled robustly.
In affirming this vision CILIP will seek:
- To achieve recognisable excellence as an organisation that values and puts into practice equal opportunities and diversity.
- To work towards establishing an LIS workforce that is representative of the diversity within UK society.
- To facilitate an awareness and appreciation of the value and importance of diversity and equal opportunities to LIS work amongst our members and staff.
- To collaborate with other interested parties in the encouragement and mainstreaming of best practice in service delivery so that the values of diversity and equal opportunities are embodied in the services provided by our members.
- To tackle prejudice wherever it is found in the LIS domain. CILIP recognises and accepts the commitment which the policy demands and will take all necessary action to ensure its full implementation and continuing development.
CILIP recognises and accepts the commitment which the policy demands and will take all necessary action to ensure its full implementation and continuing development.