This event has already taken place. View upcoming events
A one-day seminar focusing on the role of libraries as institutions at the forefront of profound changes in society. It is organised by EUROLIS (the consortium of librarians from European cultural institutes in London) and the International Library and Information Group (ILIG) of the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP).
An external event
Leading experts from Spain, Italy, France, Portugal and Germany will present current projects and share their experiences and ideas with the audience.
The seminar will be chaired by Martyn Wade, Chair of the CILIP Board and Chair of FAIFE (Freedom of Access to Information and Freedom of Expression Advisory Committee) Committee of IFLA (International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions).
- 09:30 – 10:00 Registration – Tea and coffee
- 10:00 – 10:10 Introductions
- Welcome: Angela Kaya, Director of Goethe Institut London (tbc)
- Introduction: John Lake, Vice Chair of CILIP ILIG
- 10:10 – 10:50 Martyn Wade, Chair of the Conference (UK) “Librarians, Libraries, and Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights”
- 10:50 – 11:30 Diana Puyo, Head of Programs at Libraries without borders (France) tbc.
– short tea and coffee break-
- 11:45 – 12:25 Britta Schmedemann, Specialist for work with library target groups at the Bremen Public Library (Germany) “Bremen Public Library – culture on the move”
- 12:25 – 13:05 Helena Topa Valentim, New University of Lisbon (Portugal) “Languages and books in the quest for human rights”
– Lunch break-
- 14:00 – 14:40 Paz Fernández, Library Director at the Fundación Juan March (Spain) „The right to privacy vs the right to access information: a real-life case of the right to be forgotten”
- 14:45 – 15:00 Loida Garcia-Febo, President of Information New Wave, IFLA Governing Board Member, ALA Executive Board Member (USA) “Diversity and Ethics: to foster dialog about inclusion and ethics in libraries” (Presentation via Skype)
– Tea and coffee break-
- 15:15 – 15:55 Dr. Marino Sinibaldi, Journalist and writer, Director General of Rai 3 (Italy) “Books and Freedom”
- 16:00 – 16:30 Panel discussion