International Development Committee: Inquiry on Sustainable Development Goals (September 2015)
CILIP responded to this inquiry which looked at how the sustainable development goals will be or should be implemented in the UK and how progress should be measured.
- Access to information and the skills to use that information are an essential component to successful delivery of all SDGs
- Alongside universal literacy they represent essential building blocks and enablers of the transformational change necessary to achieve the 2030 agenda and they are the currency of library, knowledge and information services
- The development of local information infrastructures forms part of the overseas development programme as a support for universal literacy, the provision of access to information and the development of the skills to use that information effectively
- An advisory group to include, amongst others, the British Library, The National Archives and CILIP is formed to advise on such a programme
- The Government is asked to clarify how it will implement the SDGs in the UK and report on progress and how others can engage in that process
Environmental Audit Committee inquiry into the sustainable development goals in the UK (September 2016)
CILIP responded to this inquiry which focused on the delivery and impact of the goals within the UK.
- Our members work in a range of sectors including industry and commerce, government and healthcare and the third sector as well as schools, further and higher education and the public sector.
- Libraries across all these sectors offer a unique contribution in helping the UK deliver on its commitments. Because of our reach we can also be points of data collection
- The creation of a Cabinet Committee to oversee and drive UK progress towards delivering on the 2030 agenda
- The foundation of a National Development Plan as recommended by the UN setting out how the UK will attain the SDGs by 2030
- The development of a National Knowledge and Information Skills strategy within the National Development Plan as an essential basis to ensure active participation at all levels in the implementation of the Goals
- An investment programme in the UK’s knowledge, library and information services to ensure that all people can access information about the SDGs and organisations are enabled to deliver them successfully